The burning of sage is a historical ritual known as smudging. We all worry about poor air quality and sage is a cost effective ancient way to purify the air.
Sage is thought to have antimicrobial properties that help kill bacteria, viruses and fungi.
Some practitioners of alternative medicine believe that burning sage can help release “negative energy”.
Some of the benefits of burning or smudging include:
- Remove bacteria from the air.
- Repelling insets.
- Improves intuition.
- Purify specific objects.
- Improve mood, reduces stress and anxiety.
Steps for Burning Sage
1. You will need something in which to burn the sage. This could be an incense tray or a bowl to catch the ashes as the sage burns. You could also purchase a crystal glass dish from our website, perfect for smudging. Fill it with earth or sand. Don't use a flammable container and keep water on hand.
2. Open a window or door before you start burning the sage. This allows the smoke to exit your house.
3. Put the sage in the burning container and light it. Let it burn for several seconds and then blow it out so that it keeps smoking. If it stops emitting smoke, try lighting it again.
4. If you are using the sage for spiritual purposes, set an intention for what you are doing. This is kind of like saying that you are starting a new beginning. For example, you might say "Let this be the day that changes start to take place." Or one I use a lot on our home, “Let this home be protected”.
5. Walk to each room you wish to purify and let the smoke enter it. Do not allow any space to fill with too much smoke. Avoid inhaling the smoke directly.